WHAT TO SEE AND DO AT THE DESIGN INDABA EXPO 2015

There is so much to see at the Design Indaba Expo this year. I arrived on Thursday morning thinking I'd run in, take a few pics and run out. Wrong. I ended up speaking to almost everyone I'm about to mention here. I asked them to explain their products to me and we chatted and exchanged cards.


The whole show was so intense, seeing amazing products and images everywhere you look, that I ended up with design fatigue! So, to save you from this very blinding, crippling state, here is my top "What to see at the Design Indaba Expo 2015!" Part 1.
You're welcome.

Lighting

Mema Designs
These are the most beautiful lampshades I've ever seen. Each shade is handmade and made from wire mesh! They're so delicate yet hardy at the same time.


Minima
Elegant timber light fittings.

Hoi Ploy
I love Hoi Ploy's products. Their light bulbs can give any lamp or ceiling light a vintage twist. I love their range of flex cords too. Such beauty and simplicity.


Emerging Creatives
Folkloriikka
These beautiful rings and pendants are inspired by ancient folktales.

Damn Fine Goodlooking
I really love these hand printed napkins.

Lukhanyo Mdingi
Carefully constructed t-shirts, awesome backpacks and this fabulous yeti suit thing.

Illustration // Design 
Leg Studios
Leg partnered up with some local illustrators to create these awesome table tops for their 3 legged tables. They're being auctioned off at the show and the proceeds are going towards building and sustaining a library at Kannemeyer Primary School in Grassy Park. This is all part of Design Indaba's Create Change campaign.

 Bokkie by, well, me!

Black and white awesomeness by Rudi De Wet


Jordan Metcalf in the black and white, Daniel Ting Chong in the Blue. Stunning work.

Bags
Cute unisex backpacks, wallets and other leather goods.

Fashion
Selfi
My all time favourite fashion lable. I'm really in love with her latest range. Celeste designed the prints on the fabric too.




Jewellery
Famke
Gorgeous stand by Famke and her lovely jewels.

Pichulik 
I mean, do I even need to write anything?



Quazi Design
Made from recycled newspaper, these bangles, rings, earrings and bowls are a nice twist on the reuse angle of recycling. All handmade in Swaziland.

Ceramics

Mia Melange
Lovely material baskets and platters, cups and other ceramic ware.


Elsje Burger
One of my favourite designers, Elsje is still creating tastefully curated pieces.

Comments

Popular Posts